- About Us
- General Practice Support
- Division Programs
- Aged Care Access Initiative (ACAI)
- Australian Primary Care Collaborative Program
- Cervical Screening
- Chronic Disease Management
- Closing the Gap
- GPII - Immunisation Program
- No Smokes North Coast
- Palliative Care Multidisciplinary Team (MDT)
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy
- Quality Use of Medicines
- Workforce Support Program
- “Why Weight” Program
- Allied Health Services
- Specialist Services
- Community Matters
No Smokes North Coast
The project, No Smokes North Coast, is a multilevel population health approach to support a culture of non-smoking in indigenous communities and equip Aboriginal people with necessary skills, resources and support to commence harm reduction and smoking cessation on the North Coast NSW with proposed interventions at primary, secondary and tertiary levels. The mid North Coast and North Coast of NSW has the highest prevalence of Indigenous smokers in NSW (59.5%). Indigenous smokers commonly fall into a hard-to-treat category due to their early onset of smoking, high cigarette consumption, living with other smokers in households that are not smoke-free, having made few previous quit attempts and being in a low socioeconomic group Intensive group programs are a suitable treatment for these smokers.
The overall purpose of the Project is to minimize the harmful impact of tobacco smoking on the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal People on the Mid and North Coast of NSW where the highest prevalence of Indigenous smokers in NSW is reported (59.5%).
The project aims to raise awareness of the harmful effects of smoking, promote a smoke free environment and support a culture of non-smoking in indigenous communities and equip Aboriginal people with necessary skills, resources and support to commence harm reduction and smoking cessation on the North Coast NSW with proposed interventions at primary, secondary and tertiary levels. [outline the content of the plan, etc]
This will be achieved by the following project activities.
- Deadly No Smokes Messages: Youth school-based program making smoke-free message through creative arts.
- Give Up The Smokes DVD: smoking cessation help and education for Indigenous smokers
- Koori Quit Café: Maternal/paternal program to reduce risks to infants and families
- Give Up The Smokes Intensive Smoking Cessation Program for Kooris: for hard-to-treat smokers implemented via train the trainer program for health professional teams in ACCHS
- No Smokes North Coast website for partner and public support
The objectives of this program of work are to:
- Support a smoke-free culture in Indigenous communities and disseminate locally made smoke-free messages
- Raise awareness of the harms of smoking and burden of disease associated with smoking in Indigenous communities
- Support Indigenous smokers to quit smoking and stay quit
- Reduce exposure of babies and children to parental smoking
The primary outcomes/s sought from this project is to:
- Develop and Implement a comprehensive, evidence based, culturally-appropriate multi-component intervention program targeting and minimising the impact of smoking among Indigenous communities (strategies already evaluated for feasibility and acceptability in the mid North Coast i.e. Give Up The Smokes intensive group courses for Indigenous smokers, and the Quit Café which will be further adapted for use in the Indigenous community).
- Engage and promote ownership within the target community of project activities to encourage stronger relevance, efficacy and commitment to developed interventions/ activities.
- Deliver appropriate tobacco control strategies that inform and raise understanding amongst Aboriginal Communities on the Mid North Coast of NSW on the negative impact that tobacco is having upon their communities while at the same time ensuring the strategies are informed by the views and needs of the same communities (Aligned to an action learning/research cycle)
- Initiate a training program to train teams of GPs and AHWs in delivering Give Up The Smokes programs at their own ACCHS.
- Trained teams within each ACCHS to deliver Give Up The Smokes Programs
- Health care professionals are better equipped through training and support to deliver effective intensive smoking cessation interventions (i.e. Give Up The Smokes and Koori Quit Café )
- Develop further training programs for new elements of the project e.g. Koori Quit Café and schools programs
- Obtain and evaluate data across all program sites to measure the effective impact that the program interventions have upon raising awareness of harms of smoking, smoking behavior and attempts to reduce or quit smoking
- Obtain sufficient reliable data that will add to the evidence base for Indigenous tobacco control and provide evidence that demonstrates the interventions are suited for use in a large scale trial
- Embed program sustainability and strengthen outcomes by developing sustainable resources for Indigenous health promotion such as a smoking cessation DVD and pamphlets, project ‘No Smokes North Coast’ website and ‘train the trainer’ activities.
No Smokes North Coast provides a population health approach to support a culture of non-smoking in indigenous communities. It is designed to equip Aboriginal people with necessary skills, resources and support to commence harm reduction and smoking cessation on the North Coast NSW with proposed interventions at primary, secondary and tertiary levels. The overall goal of the project is to minimise the impact of tobacco smoking upon the health and wellbeing of the Aboriginal Community.